View Single Post
Old June 15, 2017   #5
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I wish I knew the name of the one I am growing. I haven't been growing eggplants, just buying them because the past several years the CPB have been so bad and they destroy the plants and fruits.

While out at hardware store they had some Bonnie Plants and I saw one labeled Mini Eggplant. Normally I would just walk on by, but the name intrigued me, so I bought one to try. Came home and took the plant down to bare root and replanted in my type soil.

This is the cutest little eggplant and I haven't seen anything like it before. The whole plant is barely a foot and a half tall. Lots of leaves and at each leaf node it puts out a cluster of 6 to 9 blossoms. I have close to 50 blooms on this tiny eggplant. Thanks to a carpenter bee, it is making fruit like crazy. The fruit is a deep purple, not quite a black and all the eggplants are 2 to 3 inches long and nice and fat. Truly a mini eggplant.

The best thing I like about it, is so far, keeping fingers crossed, not one insect problem. No CPB or flatfooted bugs.

I have no idea if Mini Eggplant is what it is really called, but I do know that I am going to save seeds from it. May not be able to make a big dish from these small fruits, but they taste good seasoned and fried up in some olive oil or fresh on a salad.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote