View Single Post
Old March 3, 2021   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Swamps and Spring Stir-Crazys

We had another 1.5” rain yesterday and overnight. It’s a swamp out there again. It happens every year and this is why fall and early spring plantings are put in the upper half of the garden! The submerged area on the far side was supposed to be corn this year but with my knee recovery it will be too much to do prep and planting. The other large space will house Tahitian melon squash and maybe something else.

March 11-12 is the next moon window for planting root crops but I think the beds will still be too wet to work. Carrots, turnips, radishes and potatoes are on the schedule but that might have to be pushed back.

No sign of any peas popping yet. They were sown on 2/24 with soil temp at 58, then that dropped a few days later. Now it’s 50, kind of borderline. No lack of moisture, though! This is the pea bed three beds up from The Swamp with water between the beds. The other bed is farther up in the garden but no signs of life there either... yet.

On the plus side, the Zuchetta Rampicante seeds I saved tested 100% germination. I have a lot so if anyone wants some, just PM me.

I need to reseed jalapenos if they don’t come up today.

Good grief, I’m getting antsy. It’s too wet to play outside, seeds don’t need to be inventoried, there are no seeds that need starting right now and garden planning is up to date. Just making sure that veg sets already started stay watered. I baked bread yesterday but I might have to find something to play with in the kitchen today. No cookies though as we’re both on post-holiday diets.

Those of you still buried under snow or putting up with freezing temps have my heartfelt condolences but at least it’s steady. We don’t have that here but by golly, early bloomers like daffodils, tulip magnolias, cherry trees and Bradford pears are starting to bloom and that gets the blood going. Then that’s squashed by spates of cold temps and gloomy rain. Back and forth, back and forth. Mother Nature dangling bright, shiny trinkets of spring and then yanking them away when you reach for them. It’s enough to drive ya nuts!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote