View Single Post
Old August 4, 2019   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone Grow Brussels Sprouts?

I really dislike not being able to grow something so tricky stuff gets at least three tries before the "never again" decision is made. Brussels merit a fourth strike because I really like them and they're not inexpensive in the grocery. Failure to successfully grow brussels sprouts in the fall/winter just sticks in my craw!

Yeah, I'm not in the best geographical area to grow them because of our variable winters; mild a few weeks, cold a few weeks, rinse and repeat. The plants themselves do well as do all of my brassicas. I've even gotten them to grow a stalk at times and small sprouts start to form but that's when it all goes to pot. What sprouts form are small and very loose, basically useless.

Does anyone here successfully grow these things here in the South (or anywhere else)? And if so, do you have a trick in your hip pocket that you'd be willing to share? I'm getting ready to start my fall collards, kale, broccoli and cabbage seeds in two weeks. There's time to order brussels seed because it's sure not available around here.

I sure would appreciate any help!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote