View Single Post
Old December 27, 2006   #3
username5
Tomatovillian™

I just did a quick price check on them and agree with you that they must be high to be charging such high prices.

A pack of Genovese Basil they want $2.50 for. Yikes, that stuff is easy to find on the 10 cent racks, Burpee packing too.

I have been finding a few seed vendors to be doing googy things during the northern hemisphere's winter.

A couple vendors had seed sales up to 50% off, but then they were charging $6+ for shipping even if it was only one packet. A phone call resulted in lower shipping and they said their shipping charges reflected the fact that most of their orders this time of year were for supplies and bulbs which are bulkier and heavier.

Evidently their online shopping carts can't distinguish between a pack of seeds and a greenhouse.

I suspect (but surely don't know) that Burpee figures anyone ordering seed right now is an addict who can't wait and therefore is willing to pay a premium to get stuff right now.

We may be addicts who can't wait, but we can find other vendors. At the same time I wouldn't be surprised if you could get better prices by phoning in the order and talking to a person. It's generally what I do and most of the time the vendors are ready to offer some promotion or free shipping or something to those who request lower prices.