View Single Post
Old April 10, 2021   #31
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

I've used the Jiffy Pods for a couple years to start anything I wanted to have a head start before going outside. Last year I couldn't have asked for better looking plants. This year has been a total disaster.

Peppers did great, both the bells and the jalapenos. They popped right up, almost as fast as the tomatoes.

Cauliflower and broccolli have been a mixed success. From a total of 38 plants that were up, I'm down to 25 I think.

Tomatoes have been mostly a disaster. I'm sitting here debating what to do for this year now. I've already replanted some once a couple weeks ago. And as things sit riht now, I've got 4 cherry baby's...wanted 5. 2 of these are replants. I do have 3 Super Beefsteak that look like they are doing really good, but 2 are replants from the original 3. I have 2 Porterhouse, but they look iffy. And out of 7 planted (too many by mistake) I have 1 Early Pick Hybrid VF that has made it this far.

They germinated in the peat really well, and then just stalled. Well, can't even say stalled is the right word. They grew up, 2-3" rapidly, and then stalled. Took forever for them to start putting on true leaves. Out of desperation, I repotted them into 3" pots which helped, but was too late for some of them I think.

I am going to try regular flats and starter soil next year I think. I can't help but think that for some reason the peat cells just weren't good for me this year.
D.J. Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote