View Single Post
Old June 20, 2008   #9
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Here is some information I've found in my research:
In 1847, Thomas Bridgeman listed four varieties in his seed catalogue: Cherry, Pear, Large Yellow and Large Squash. In 1858 Buist listed eight cultivars in his catalogue. In 1863, a popular seed catalogue listed 23 cultivars, among which was Trophy. A study done at Michigan Agricultural College in the late 1880's showed that 171 named cultivars represented only 61 truly different lines.

I too wish I acquired a lot more information from my grandparents about growing tomatoes (as well as other vegetables).

I've given a good deal of thought wondering what happened through the ages. Here are some things that I've thought about or found interesting:

It seems like there were a good many seed companies after the turn of the century and it was a good sized industry. Until Burpee came along with their hybrids in the 30s everything was OP, yet these companies were able to stay in business. It seems reasonable that they had return customers. So, what I'm getting at is that is seems like a lot of people didn't save seeds even back then.

When my mother was a kid they grew almost everything they ate. She had to work in the garden and hated it. As an adult she bought vegetables because of her childhood experience. She didn't care about gardening so a lot of information and seeds were lost when my grandmother died.

My friend "Spud" who is 82 remembers when the hybrids were introduced. He said within a few years every one in the valley was growing hybrids. A lot of seeds fell by the wayside as a result. Spud remembers his dad growing Stone, Beefsteak, Bonny Best, and Break O'Day. He said there were other varieties, but can't remember what they were. His dad switched to hybrids too and Spud couldn't find any of the old seeds after his father died.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote