View Single Post
Old October 5, 2018   #15
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Rhines, while you were recovering from the mishap, we had a few threads that mirror your situation. If you were not here for Pure Harvests discussion of silage tarps, they are epic! That worked famously for me, and it is not too late to get a tarp down or sheets of cardboard for winter coverage. I actually did both, tarped after the cardboard flew off in mid winter.
I will have to search for those threads but it seems to me that once the growth goes dormant then covering them over the Winter won't really have an effect. It would kill them off early Spring though. Unfortunately, I do not think the land will be officially mine for a couple more weeks until the sellers get the tires and trash removed, by then we will certainly be in heavy frost (sometimes we even get have several inches of snow by Halloween).

Quote:
My plants are happy with well water, and they don't care if it is cold. If your well produces adequate uncontaminated water, I would think it would be superior to water accumulating contaminants off a roof. Can you run a farm tap from the well to the garden next spring?
Yes I can certainly run water directly to the garden from the well but the well water is about 40-45 degF around here and the soil is slow to warm up, so holding tanks from the well water are a better idea for in-ground gardening - raised beds are not as much of an issue. I can see concern off of collecting rain water from a shingled roof, I might do that but it would be used for flowers and lawn, not garden. Rainwater collected from a greenhouse or fiberglass or metal roof would be fair game wherever needed.

Quote:
With your projected size garden, you will be able to grow a variety of crops. It might be easier to think of it as a few different gardens - large upright plants such as tomatoes & beans, flat crops like watermelon or rows of potatoes, early delicate crops like greens, etc. I focus on prepping one area while the soil warms and gets prepared for the next section. Sort of a crisis management when you are working a real job.

Looking forward to see how your new digs develop !!!

- Lisa
Oh, this is something I can't wait for. I have always been sacrificing growing these vs. that and cutting back on this to grow that, etc.... Now I really won't have to. I am only talking about using an 1/8 of an acre on 8.5 acres of land (yes, room to grow and plenty of buffer). But I will hold myself back to what I believe I can manage, a mere 1/8 acre for now. I might dedicate an additional 1/8 acre in corn, which I don't really consider a "garden" plant - a field of its own. Maybe will also put in some strips across the road dedicated to a wildlife plot. A whole row of mixed melons and pumpkins will be awesome.

I was also thinking that since I posted about my accident and then getting the land in the same post ... I don't want anyone thinking that I got a settlement and got rich quick ... I have been saving my money and looking for land for the past few years, the two incidents are not related whatsoever and the only thing I got from the accident was a very sore back/neck and compensation for immediate medical bills (and my car fixed of course).

Last edited by rhines81; October 5, 2018 at 08:56 PM.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote