View Single Post
Old October 1, 2016   #7
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad you brought this up as i was going to ask about it. I saw FirmaVerde on your Artisan site last week. And will be ordering.
I had such a great tomato season this year and many grapes and cherries. I have had many mixed varieties, 'Artisan' mixes they are called, in clam shell packs at groceries we are served at work. And actually not that good. Usually just tossed on platters whole with olives and mixed cheese platters with some sliced meats/proscuitto/salami....not very good tomatoes. They taste refrigerated and often over-ripe. I actually have had some spitters over the summer season. Literally spit them. Maybe hot house grown.

I've had some crips greens in the mix and some tart/lemony ones that are really tasty like GWR. I did rub one tiny tasty one on a napkin and put it in my pocket, then dried it in my hotel room...(i was working in the Hamptons all week. Southampton.) I'm guessing the caterers picked them up locally but I don't think they were grown locally.
They also don't know to not keep in refrigeration.

They taste like stamps. ....they best way i can describe a neutral flavorless slightly and minimally sweet flavor. Stamp glue,

I'm a good cook. We have an annual tomato tasting menu every year and often a few times during harvest. One big party for a hundred and a few smaller ones.

The crisp green i just had would be fantastic like you posted...yours looks like a larger plum tom size. (the trial one with the duck)

This pic is a crisp large green grape but the seeds are pale and seem immature. I saved seeds, (on that napkin), from the tiny green one, about the size of a smaller SunGold. (i doubt i will grow it out next year but it was very good).

We have not been at all smaller tomato obsessed in the 20 year growing, until this past couple of years with such great varieties to try, so thank you for digging into those varieties and creating good solid ones.
I'm on board having the room to trial so many...
Attached Images
File Type: png green when ripe.png (506.3 KB, 424 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote