View Single Post
Old February 25, 2009   #3
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Tom Wagner,

Troll
Quote:
Last week in conversation with member here was told to rinse potatoes, put them wet into a plastic ziploc and put in fridge to get the eyes to sprout. Is it too late for that? How do I cut them up... or do I?
Tom Wagner
Quote:
It is usually not a good idea to wash potatoes. They don't keep as well as they seem to desiccate faster. Actually the potatoes are already sprouted enough looking at the pictures. The refrig will just prolong the sprouting process. I would not cut them up until planting time.
The rinsing and plastic bag were to induce sprouting of potatoes that had been in storage. Maybe I misunderstood about the refrigerator?

Tom Wagner
Quote:
I would not cut them up until planting time.
The Mountain Rose has 1 sprout and maybe 16-18 more eyes. Is the idea to include 1 or more eyes with each piece of potato that I cut? I hope lime comes in small bags as I never have to sweeten my container mix (ProMix BX).

You certainly have my local weather conditions down pat! Too much rain in the spring followed by too much heat in the summer. The days are too hot for the species of pepper I prefer to grow & when night temps hit upper 80s they will not set new pods. And I do pile grass clippings and mulch around the containers all summer long & spray to keep wet and cooler.

So... I can put a foot of compost in bottom of cage (no container) and set the cut potatoes on top before piling on how much straw to start with? How tall can I expect the plants to grow? How much do I let grow before piling more straw on top? Will the potato flowers self-pollinate?

I'll start setting the spuds out on my deck during warm days and take in at night so the coons or possums don't get them. St. Pats day it is then.

Thanks so much for your expert help! Just a couple unanswered questions above.

jt (AKA Idiot Troll)
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote