View Single Post
Old April 10, 2020   #2
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I have both raised beds and then in-ground areas for corn and squash. I would suggest that pathways should be wide enough so that anything you need to take down between the rows (wheelbarrow, etc) can get through there. But that's going to depend on what you grow in the rows. With 1' wide pathways, large stuff growing on either side of the path might grow together and close the path!

If you're going to hand water, consider hose guides or getting that hose to behave going down 1' wide paths without messing anything up can be frustrating. I like to hand-water stuff as it gives me a chance to inspect everybody and catch any problems early.

Vertical will help with your space management. I use metal t-posts and tie an 8' pole to each one. That allows me to tie lengths of field fence to the posts two high. I think that's about 80" of height.

I planted Alabama Blackeye Butterbeans on it and they still grew to the top and back down.

The good thing about an in-ground area is that if you try it one way this year and aren't happy with it, you can always change it next year. Yeah, this year's pathways might need a little extra tilling next year but you're not stuck with a permanent arrangement unless you want it.

It will be interesting to see what you come up with and how it works for you! And welcome to the board!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote