View Single Post
Old June 12, 2011   #35
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

Stupice and Rutgers are both used in our salsa recipes and sauces, but I agree that the taste is not there for using as a slicer.
I've got two very big problems here...
1. My garden is an old driveway with a lot of rocks, seriously compacted and no organic matter.
2. My elevation is about 3500ft, so it goes from light frosts to extreme heat in a few weeks time.
This is my second year here and literally have been adding tons of organic material and still have areas in the garden that won't drain. I've started digging deep trenches between rows and filling with horse manure, Christmas tree mulch and bark and just ordered buckwheat seed to plant between rows for a summer cover crop.
With all this the Ashleigh and Atkinson have been impressive, they both are loaded with fruit, but seem to be very late maturing. I'll try and get some pics of them and let you know how the taste is.
I have always grown my tomatoes for an early harvest and then keep them alive for a fall crop. Next year I am going to try a different approach with a lot of early varieties and try and get my crop in by July 1st and have a second batch ready for planting with the monsoons ...
I've had very good luck with taste and production in the past with Japanese Black Trifele, Green Zebra, Cherokee Purple and its potato leaf version Spudakee and NAR, these are our favorites for slicing... NAR is the least productive of this bunch, but it is worth growing for the very large perfect red slicer that I impress the neighbors with ... LOL.
If it is not Red and Perfect its not a tomato to most.