View Single Post
Old April 28, 2020   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomatoes (and Peppers) Are In

Yesterday the tomatoes and peppers got planted, half of the 'maters up by the house and half down in the garden. I went overboard this year in the search for heat tolerance, a good paste and a different cherry... and some just for the heck of it! Thanks to those of you who shared seed.

These are the ones in the garden. I forgot to take a pic of the others but it's the same arrangement except the pallets are on the ground.

Twenty different varieties, one of each:

Bella Rosa (this one's done well for me before)
Brad's Atomic Grape
Camp Joy Cherry (new to me)
Creole Original (2nd year for this)
Early Annie (2 of these, first try for this)
Early Girl Bush (2 of these, does well for me)
German Johnson (from Shawn's list)
GGTW (new to me)
Golden Girl (does well for me)
KBX (new to me)
Mom's Paste (new to me)
Porter (new to me)
Rebel Yell (new to me)
Red Siberian (2nd year for this; loaded very early last year)
Rio Grande (2nd year for this)
Rosella Cherry (new to me)
Santiago (new to me)
SOTW (suffered in the heat last year so getting a shady reprieve this year)
Super Sioux (new to me)
Ten Fingers Of Naples (new to me)

Last year the garden tomatoes were in full blasting sun all day and they weren't happy at all. None of them did worth a toot. Too hot! This year I've moved them to the top of the garden on a bed that gets shade during the hottest part of the afternoon. Too much shade? I've read tomatoes only need about six hours of sun to produce. We'll see. Any input on that?

These are the peppers that were planted last night down the middle of the spring carrot bed.

1 Charleston Belle, 1 Carolina Wonder, 1 Gypsy, 2 Jalapeno M, 2 Jalapeno Mucho Nacho, 1 Maule's Red Hot cayenne, 1 Red Marconi and 1 Bequinho (seed of a Brazilian pepper given by a friend). No ancho as the seed never germinated and I forgot to order more. I hate to buy plants but might have to get an ancho. Serves me right.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote