View Single Post
Old April 19, 2010   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

A few quick thoughts for what could be grown in 4 gal containers.

Peppers - Tollie's Sweet and Neopolitan should do well. They would both be good picks for 4 gal containers.

Most herbs and lettuces.

Dwarf / tree-type tomatoes - for example, Lime Green Salad and Golden Dwarf Champion. Maybe even New Big Dwarf - I've grown it in a 4.5 gal container before with no problems. Some compact dets, like Hanky Red and 506. I don't grow many dets and not all dets are compact, others might have more recommendations.

Bush type cukes. Other cucurbits (eg, melons, cukes, squash) might be a bit of a stretch because they tend to like a lot of water and support could also be a problem unless you just let them sprawl.

Corn could be problematic - too tall / sail effect that might easily tip, also high N needs. Perhaps a dwarf variety might work.

Bush beans. If soil is fairly good, I've found one can sow bush bean seed on 4" centers with good results, at least in a raised bed. Pole might be problematic for support reasons, like with the corn. Sail effect, easy to tip.

Garlic and bunching onions - should work if the needs of the plants are met and spacing in the container is sufficient. Don't overcrowd with garlic (unless you are just trying to grow some green garlic / for the tops) or bulb development could be affected.

Bulb onions and other root crops you mentioned - might be worth a go if the depth of the container is sufficient to allow proper development of the root (crop).
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote