Thread: Bacterial Speck
View Single Post
Old December 1, 2009   #9
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I can't say for sure, but I believe Bacterial spot and speck is mostly spread because of the wet conditions. I do know that the spores can survive on things in the greenhouse, so if you had it there in the past, you should spray down the plastic and benches with a bleach solution before the next season in the greenhouse.

We've had it bad in the past out in the field on our bell peppers. Leaves drop off like fall trees. Ugly. The only thing that seemed to help was a product called Copper Count and another with copper that I can't remember the name right now. The Copper is the vital ingredient.

Back when the disease was fairly new, the university meetings I went to spoke out adamently AGAINST seed saving saying the disease could be seed borne. I was big into saving rare hot chiles at that time. Then, as now, all my seeds get a bleach water rinse in the final rinse. The next year, the only plants in my greenhouse that had Bacterial Speck were from commercially purchased seed. None of my own seed had any problems.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote