View Single Post
Old April 12, 2016   #1
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default My Idea for grow lights...

I am having problems with what I thought was a simple question on other forums so I will put my idea here and see if there is a reaction because I am not a lighting or gardening expert
..I am trying to light my 4 X 5M greenhouse containing 60 Tomato plants (will be less next season) ...Now as I understand it based on comments received ,some people want me to buy all sorts of lights at a huge cost EG a grow light @ $30 per plant is $1800 and I would not even know what I was buying or if the product works.....plus there is the cost of being able to raise and lower these.....

I have thought that car headlights are a cheap option and I can get them for a tomato?? LED bulbs are getting cheaper ,and can be bought in a wide range of colour temperatures on Ebay...the headlights provides a reflector plus I can get the fusebox,harness,switches etc from a car to run as many circuits as I like via a 240 to 12V Power supply....I have been assured by a friend in Canada (who has all the brains here ) and he has thought this through and has designed a circuit for what he considers will do the job...Unfortunately its difficult getting hold of him at the moment...The lights are for light not heat ..thats what the i consider my plants require ...Now I may put TWO circuits or systems in because with my limited knowledge it depends on various factors ...It seems to me that by using headlights I could light up my greenhouse like the sun and using a combination of bulbs the light temperature would be between 2500K and 7oooK...My research tells me this is great for producing plant growth ..leaves flowers etc but what about the fruit ...when they arrive ...They have to ripen and I know cause thats whats happening to my crop this season (Downunder??)..Due to bad weather conditions I cannot get my fruit ripe ....

The reason (as I understand) is that there should be RED light (under 2500K ) at a ratio of at least 3 to 1 or even more and this is seen in LED grow Lights where one can see the diode colours and there can be up to 7 times more RED Led's than Blue LED's ...
So where do I get Red Light from..... Well I have various options ..

My latest madness is could I modify some headlight bulbs ...so far I have not got any answer from light foruns etc?? EG Could I exchange the diodes on a car 24 X LED headlamp bulb over to RED diodes ..after all I have seen some bulbs where the diodes look like they are just soldered on.. I wonder if possible and what is the degree of difficulty...Alternatively I have found other grow bulbs and I presume these could be used in a second circuit ..This could be a real asset ...and I think worth considering ..I could use circuit one till fruit appears and switch the second circuit on and run them together...But hopefully I can get some feedback on this....One thing I do know is growing seedlings etc inside under lights my Tomatoes really respond .Its quite incredible what a few CFL bulbs or Floro Tubes will do..and I want to get the positives out in my greenhouse for next season ..

So at the moment I am trying to discover if I am an old crazy man or a genius..When I find out if the above is even slightly possible i will rethink everything...........Regards Ron
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote