View Single Post
Old July 16, 2022   #1
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Default Fused blooms - what to do?

So this year I am finding more mega blooms - which I have removed when I see them, but I’ve noticed on my Rebel Yell quite a few that look like they are fused but didn’t look like mega blooms initially. They are lower down on the stem and probably escaped notice because of the foliage.

I do have a lot of fruit set on the plant and I did remove two small ones today, but there is another one that is getting large and I can see the bottom where you can see the split. My question is: do I leave this tomato and the others and see how they grow? I’m really loathe to remove any more and there are several more tomatoes forming so it doesn’t look like the plant has slowed down.

Given my short growing season, my instinct is to leave them and see how they do.

Thoughts? Opinions? Any advice would be welcome!

Of the beefsteaks that I’m growing: ISPL, Not Purple Strawberry, EBP, NAR, Rebel Yell and Momotaro, RY seems to be the most prone to fusing or maybe they are just going to be huge tomatoes. We have had a weird summer. Lots of rain, some cool nights, then really hot, then rain, etc etc.

Thanks,
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote