View Single Post
Old March 2, 2018   #19
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I've been trying to find an heirloom that does better than the hybrids, both in head size and side shoot production but so far no luck. Packman is the absolute best I've grown but I'm always growing others to compare. This is a fall 7" Packman:

This past fall I planted 18 broccoli plants, 6 each of Packman, Blue Wind and the old timey Waltham 29 (first time for that one). The Packman and Blue Wind both did great but the Waltham was a bust. Huge plants and 4" heads. Almost no side shoots. And I learned a big lesson about planting the broccoli all at once when a tidal wave of broccoli came! It doesn't freeze well for me so we ate a ton of broccoli in a short time. That didn't happen last spring as they kind of naturally staggered themselves.

This spring I've staggered out the plantings. There will be 16 plants plants, 8 each of Packman and 8 of new-to-me heirloom Green Goliath. They were all started in 4-packs a week apart and transplanted out a week apart starting Feb 10. Set #3 got set out two days ago and Set #4 is out on the porch hardening off now.

If the Green Goliath doesn't come up to snuff, I'll try Gypsy next.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote