View Single Post
Old September 3, 2017   #65
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
What technique are you using to save seed Robert?
I wonder if I can help you some way. Fresh seed should germinate close to 100%
KarenO
I could have used a multiquote, but this works too. The seeds were fermented for 5 and 6 days. They didn't get the fungal mat until 2 and 3 days in. There was plenty of juice from the tomatoes, so I didn't use any water.

The first germination test I did was clearly my error. I soaked the paper towels that I put in the zipper bags. After 3 weeks of next to nothing - I tossed the bags yesterday.

Two weeks ago, I planted more seeds in starter cells just like I have always done in the past. I made sure I did not plant them too deep. As soon as they started coming up, I removed the plastic dome. I monitored the pro mix to not let it get too wet or dry. There was plenty of light, and I kept the temperature in the room between 75 and 80F. The one variety that did best had 4 of 12 seeds germinate.

Where the seeds came from: Fully ripe tomatoes I grew myself. EDIT/Added info - Do any of you remember me writing about the tomatoes not having much taste this year? The following paragraph might explain that too.

What I am wondering about is if the growing conditions in the soil was just too harsh on the plants to let them fully develop the seeds? The plants did grow with RKN and Fusarium race 3 in the soil.

If that is not the answer - then I don't know?

Last edited by AlittleSalt; September 3, 2017 at 11:53 AM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote