View Single Post
Old November 17, 2014   #14
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Great pictures, and an excellent garden, impressive! Brambles are cane fruits, raspberries, blackberries etc. You have your hands full with fruit and vegetables and kids, Very cool!
Yeah a few raspberry plants are best. But they are wild, you can just let them root, or blackberries and increase them yourself. Yes you seem to have excellent soil. Blueberries are not always easy to grow, yours look fantastic!

On blackberries they fruit on 2nd year canes. After fruiting you can remove canes. They will grow new ones every year. New canes are primocanes. Primocanes overwinter and then fruit, now called floricanes. Once floricanes fruit remove them.

Raspberries can also do this, we call those summerbearing. Prune same as above. The primocane/floricane names are used for raspberries too.

Everbearing raspberries can fruit on the upper 1/3 the first year, and the lower 2/3's the 2nd year. Some just take the upper 1/3 crop and cut them down. Some just prune the upper 1/3 off after fruiting and take a 2nd crop the next summer. Once the lower 2/3 fruits you remove canes. Some newer blackberries are everbearing too. Another name is primocane fruiting.

What I do is trellis floricanes, and not the primocanes, so i always know which canes to remove. Works well with trailing blackberries, but some are erect, and don't even need a trellis.

So you remove canes after fruiting right to the ground, take them out. Except for ones that only fruit on the upper 1/3, although to make it easy you can remove them too, but they can fruit a 2nd time. Hope that hekps, I know it is confusing.

Pineberries are white strawberry hybrids. They have a pineapple taste sort of. Thus the name. Seeds are red, flesh is white to red tinted. Grow like June bearing.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote