View Single Post
Old December 6, 2017   #5
agee12
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the responses.

I really like the idea of putting the seeds in peat moss, I assume I can also put them in the freezer, right?

Below is my tentative pre-spring grow list. Not all on the list require a cold treatment, I have been able to germinate and grow radishes and peas without a cold treatment.

I have tried to grow everything on my flower / pollinator list except milkweed and have been unsuccessful other than I have managed to get one anise hyssop to grow but it took numerous tries to get than one plant.

From the herb list, I tried rosemary, thyme and I think tarragon and have not been successful. I got germination with the rosemary and thyme but not growth.

From the vegetable list, I have not been very successful with beets, carrots, chard and spinach. I planted kale a while ago, and while it grew, it did not look that great at the beginning but seems to be doing better in the cooler weather.

I currently have a single brussels sprout plant and several broccoli plants growing, previous attempts with these two plants have not been successful. I currently have about three different varieties of mustard greens growing and they seem to be doing well.

My tentative Pre-Spring Grow List

Flowers/Pollinators:
anise hyssop
Bee Balm / Monarda
Black-Eye Susan
Blanketflower
Cat Mint
Coneflower
Foxglove
Lavender
Milkweed
Tansy (?? no seeds at moment)
Yarrow

Herbs:
Anise
Chamomile
Rosemary
Sage
Tarragon
Thyme
- will also grow Basil, Cilantro, Dill, Parsely but will not plant until spring.

Vegetables:
Asparagus
Arugula
Beets
Carrots
Chard
Kale
Lettuce
Peas
Radish
Spinach
Turnips

Just to be clear, I do not see cold treatment as a cure-all and I know that the failures were due to other things like rookie and other mistakes on my part, figuring out what grows well in my conditions, and as noted above certain plants being fussy. That's why I am not exercising any discipline and reducing the list, because I know that the odds are not in my favor that everything listed will be grown successfully.

Thanks again for the responses.

Last edited by agee12; December 6, 2017 at 04:59 AM.
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote