Thread: Canning Season.
View Single Post
Old November 20, 2017   #412
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

I don't really have a set recipe. I will try to make sense. I do like to use 2 or 3 different types of apples. (Jonathan, Jonagold, Cortland, Winesap, Braeburn) I cut them up, leave on the skin but try to get as much of the seeds and core out without wasting apple, then I add a touch of apple cider or apple juice or even just a bit of water in the bottom of the pot to start the steaming. Don't use to much liquid cause the apples will make juice. Once the apples are soft I put them through the strainer thing (posting a picture).

Once the apples are squished, if making apple butter, which is more cooked down, thickened and caramelized, I put the squished apples in a crock pot on low. I leave them cook for 24 hours or more if needed (depending on the amount). When the apple squish is totally broke down and thick and creamy I add spices. Cloves, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg maybe molasses or brown sugar? All to taste.

Applesauce would just be put back in the pot to heat up. Possibly add brown sugar, cinnamon. Then there is the times where I might mix it up and add nutmeg or a touch of honey or maple syrup or whatever.

Hot jars, hot sauce, water bath, 20 minutes pints, 25 minutes quarts. BOOM done!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mirro-food-press.jpg (49.1 KB, 80 views)
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote