View Single Post
Old February 9, 2009   #5
ArcherB
Tomatovillian™

I'm in Kyle Texas and this is my second year growing anything. I don't know if I should count last year, however, as I really only had one productive plant, a Bush Early Girl Hybrid. It produced like mad all summer no matter how hot it got.

This year, I'm trying all kinds of stuff:
Round One:
BrandyWine (Seed Packet)
Cherokee Purple
Marianna's Peace
Coyote Cherry
Black Cherry
Red BrandyWine
Roma (Seed Packet)

Round Two:
Sweet Million (Seed from last year)
Sun Gold (Seed packet)
Black Krim (Seed Packet)
Cherokee Purple (Seed Packet)
Pink BrandyWine (Seed Packet)
Celebrity Hybrid (Seed Packet) (for comparison purposes)

Those that are labeled "Seed Packet" came from a commercially purchased Seed Packet (thus the name). The rest came from someone who was kind enough to send me seeds in exchange for a SASE.

I planted the 30 seeds on Jan 13 in a 72 slot Jiffy Greenhouse that uses peat pellets (half of them anyway... Roma and above). Nearly all of them germinated, have been transplanted to peat pots and are in the process of hardening off. I had to put them back under the lights today as it is raining and I don't want them drowning in the tray I use to carry them around. I plan on putting at least three in the ground as soon as I have time and can get the bed ready. I chose three because I have three WOW's.

I started a second round on Feb 2 that includes those tomatoes below "Roma" as well as cilantro, basil, acorn squash and pomegranate. All the tomatoes and basil have sprouted and the cilantro is just starting to come up.

I'll let you guys know how each one does as the year goes on. I will also be extremely interested in knowing how yall's do as that will be a big help in knowing what to do for next year and the years that follow.
ArcherB is offline   Reply With Quote