View Single Post
Old September 10, 2017   #1
MichelleInWASt
Tomatovillian™

Default Dwarf tomatoes/Pacific Northwest question

I'm a newbie this year and have managed to check off a truly impressive number of beginner's mistakes all in one growing season. (What can I say, I'm an overachiever! )

(No doubt I could have skipped making at least some of those mistakes firsthand if I had either found my way here sooner or found Epic Tomatoes sooner, but at least, tomatoes being the hardy critters they are, even with all of my mistakes we're still now awash in tomatoes.)

Anyway, having now learned about all of the fascinating new dwarf varieties, I'm wondering if it would make sense next year to focus mainly on those? I'm thinking that, if I did that, I could start them quite early and still be able to keep them indoors under the lights, without running out of space as I would doing the same thing with indeterminates, until the soil is warm enough to plant them out.

(For those not familiar with Pacific Northwest conditions -- our big issue here is a short growing season, which tends to limit people to mostly "early" varieties.)

So, the question for y'all here of far more experience and wisdom than I have: Is my reasoning sound? Is there a "poison pill" I'm missing as I contemplate this?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited by MichelleInWASt; September 11, 2017 at 03:18 AM.
MichelleInWASt is offline   Reply With Quote