Thread: Leaffooted Bugs
View Single Post
Old June 19, 2017   #15
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
From what I have heard you will find food grade DE used in stored grains to help keep out insects and thus it is also in your flour. I don't know if they add it to the flour when milling or not but when I was a kid my mother almost always had to sift flour to get weevils out and now they seem to have disappeared from flour. We keep it dusted under our sink and in the lower cabinets and whenever we see a roach he is dying or dead. It is also a good product for flea powder and to use in dog bedding and dog houses to keep the fleas under control.

Make sure you are getting the food grade because it is lower in the dangerous silica that can cause lung problems. I got mine over the internet and it was relatively cheap but the shipping wasn't since I got a fifty pound bag. I also use it as a dust on my cabbages to help with slugs but I'm not so sure it works on them like it does most insects. Next time I am in our local feed store I'll check and see if they have DE and if they do what grade it is.

Bill
It's good to dust behind appliances in the kitchen too. The feed stores would sell food grade because they feed to horses and cattle for worms as well.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote