View Single Post
Old February 20, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Well if you cant walk the walk then don't talk the talk.
Me that is.
I decided to make summer sausage so here it is.

I will post pictures first and the come back and give the recipe.

Okay I'm back I posted the pictures with my phone and then I am pack on the computer.
It is easier that way.

First it only took about 10 minutes to grind the meat with the hand grinder.
The recipe is for 8 to 10 pounds of pork.
3 table spoons of paprika.
2 tea spoons of hot red pepper.
3 heaping table spoons of Mortons Sugar Cure.
1/2 table spoon dry mustard.
2 table spoons of mustard seeds.
3 table spoons of whole black pepper corns.
1 table spoon of fresh coarse ground black pepper.
3 table spoons of powdered garlic
2 table spoons of onion powder.
1 quarter cup of Yellow tail Cabernet Merlot.
Grind the fatty pork with a 1/2 inch grinding plate.
Mix the ingredients up by hand into the pork and then I used my KitchenAid mixer with the dough kneading hook.
Then a little known secret, they sell a stuffing plate for grinders, i dont have one and dont need one.
I simply put the stuffer one without any plate.
It works fine, the stuffing funnel gets meat in it and it along with the geometry of the screw/auger in the grinder will keep the contraption forced to the back anyway.

Next I let the links hang outside to dry in the wind and then put them in the refrigerator for about 24 hours or so for the meat to cure.
An alternate method and best would be to mix the meat up and let set over night and mix again.
But I didn't do this and it will cure anyway tonight and tomorrow.

Then you have a choice you can smoke them or you can cook them slowly in the oven till the inside temps get to around 145 F.
If you smoke them start at around 120 F hold there for about 6 hours with very little smoke and then raise the temp up to 150 F and smoke heavy till the interman tem gets to 145 F.
(((DO NOT))) let this stuff get too hot or stay at temp too long it will ruin the product by melting out all of the fat.
I have seen this all too often with home made sausage and salami like summer sausage.
Before you do either use a pin and put a little hole any place you see an air pocket in the sausage and along the sides.

PS excuse the mess on the table I have a thousand things going at once.
Worth

IMG_2015022011605.jpg

IMG_201502205488.jpg

IMG_2015022040327.jpg

IMG_2015022021823.jpg

IMG_201502204922.jpg

Last edited by Worth1; February 20, 2015 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Sugar cure not tinder quick
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote