Thread: Danko
View Single Post
Old November 20, 2010   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0820 View Post
I noticed Sandhill Preservation listed Danko as a semi-determinate. Does Danko set fruit right up until frost, or does it just set fruit once and stop producing?

Approximately how tall do the plants grow (what size of cage would I need)?

Which would be more productive for making pasta sauce: Danko or Sarnowski Polish Plum?
Danko is a red heart and yes, semi-det. I got my seeds from a friend of a friend who was in the CIS and bought back 12 packs of seeds ofdifferent varieties. Tania and Andrey also list it in the SSE YEarbook as I do and I sent it to the several seed sites where I usually send seeds for trial where I know the owners and have for quite a while.

Yes, it can and does set fruits up to frost, atleastfor me where I live.

I have no idea how tall the plants get b'c I sprawl all of my tomato plants.

Which would be more productive between Danko, and Sarnowski Polish Plum, another variety I introduced? Production-wise Sarnoski, taste wise, Danko.

So make a sauce with some of each and you've got a winner.

Here's Tania's page for Danko:

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Danko

THe picture shown on that page does not accurately depict Danko, IMO. It's not a heart with an acute tip, rather, more of a blunt tip such as Wes.

I'm pretty sure I'll be again offering Danko seeds here in my seed offer, but not Sarnowski Polish Plum b'c I have been offering them here but now I think they're too old to distribute seeds for them.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/S...ki_Polish_Plum

Above is Tania's Sarnowski page.

As for seed sources, Tania tries to keep up but with thousands of varieties featured it's almost impossible to do. For instance, I see Victory seeds listed for Danko, but just went there and don't see it, although it was there. Probably not good seed production is the reason.