View Single Post
Old September 9, 2012   #10
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

One of the most over looked cover crops is the radish which is completely grown in 30 days. If planted close in the spring or fall it can be turned under quick or if left in the ground till spring the radish itself under the ground turns under nicely! I grew a 10 by 50 area of sunflowers this year that are huge and will make agreat amount of compost material! The leaves alone are great for compost but you also have for the bottom 3 inch in diameter stems. The seed flowers after the seeds are gone can be ground or just thrown into the compost!
+++
Lots of birds add much nitrogen with their droppings! I mean hundreds of birds come to eat the seeds. The seed hulls are all over the ground spread by the birdsamke good mulch for the ground! I over did it this year but next year I will make a less wide row of abut2 feet by a 100!. The flowers are also nice to look at with over a 1000 flowers of all sizes and colors! I will also put a row of clmbing beans and peas along the 100 foot row to climb up the sun flowers!

Last edited by bobberman; September 9, 2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: spelling
bobberman is offline   Reply With Quote