View Single Post
Old January 28, 2009   #3
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormymater View Post
No one seem to bother with a second crop even though the pickleworms seem to fade away after about 3 weeks. My second crop attempt succumbed to powdery mildew - must be the combined goodness of heat & humidity plus the occasional tropical storm just to tear things up a bit.
stormymater,

Try to make 4 successive plantings of the crops; in increments of every 2 weeks in different places; this may help you to obtain a better crop load. I don't know of your space limitations, or how many plants of each variety you planted.

As you plant each batch of seedlings; start another batch to put into the ground 2 weeks later. This is so the bugs that are eating them will by-pass others and the other ones will flourish.

I stake my cukes upwards on old light weight Tomato cage; this makes them healthier. 6 of them can climb the cage at the same time, in the same "hill." Remember any vining plant wants to climb upwards counter-clock-wise. (Even tomato plants.) Watch their branches as they're growing upwards and you'll see what I mean.

Also try the Molasses Method too. It may make them stronger. I'm going to try it this year too.

~* Robin