View Single Post
Old November 25, 2019   #221
svalli
Tomatovillian™

My husband went moose hunting this year and now we have freezer full of Moose meat in different forms. When living in USA, I made venison summer sausage and still have the equipment and some of the pink cure #1. We do not have smoker with temperature control, so I studied alternative methods. I found that sous vide circulator can be used for cooking the sausages. I cold smoked the cured sausages in a Weber kettle and then cooked with the sous vide at 68°C/155°F.
I ground pork belly to mix with the ground lean moose meat. My first batch was a bit crumbly but the second, which I finished yesterday is much better. I had 1kg moose and 400g of pork belly. This is non fermented sausage, so I may have to freeze the ones, which we do not eat in a week. The second batch did not leak fat or liquid into the vacuum bags during sous vide process, so I do not have to open the bags before using, so I wonder if those could keep longer unopened just in the refrigerator.

I would like to try doing fermented sausages, but unfortunately such sausages are not usually made home here, so cures and the fermenting starters are not easily available. Right now I am still happy to be able to make the non fermented summer sausage.

Now it is time for an evening snack of sausage and cheddar on crackers.

Sari
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191125_184235.jpg (148.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191125_172014.jpg (113.5 KB, 43 views)