View Single Post
Old November 26, 2008   #9
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Ted,

I first fill the 'Tainer with water until it hits the level of the overflow holes. Then I fill the 5" diameter wicking basket with potting mix and compress it down so it is thoroughly wet. I mound it up like the top of a cupcake about 1" above the surface of the aeration bench (This is to account for any long term compression inside the wicking basket). You never want an air-pocket to develop in between the landscape fabric and the top of the potting mix in the wicking basket or the system will stop wicking.

Next, I place the landscape fabric on top of the aeration bench, wet it over the mound of potting mix, and then pat it with my hand to commence the moisture transmission. No slits at all in the landscape fabric, other than to skirt around the filler tube. I then add the 3.3 cubic ft. of potting mix, 2" layers at a time, soaking it with water to make sure the entire mix is moistened.

Do you think I need more clarity in the Guide, and if so, I will add these above details in the next Rev.

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote