View Single Post
Old July 6, 2010   #8
CLETUS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I'm curious.

Why sprinkle milk on the soil or in the planting hole when Early Blight is transmitted initially by air and in raindrops? So the spores land on the leaf surface.

And any spores that fall to the soil from infected plants won't be destroyed by powdered milk.

For sure folks can try it if they wish, as long as they do controls as I think was mentioned above.

But when it comes to Late Blight ( P. infestans) I want to use a product that I know has been tested in challenge experiments and known to help prevent it. And that's b'c LB is almost always lethal while EB ( A. solani) is the most common fungal foliage pathogen in the world and I think almost all of us have had that plus Septoria Leaf Spot, the other major fungal foliage pathogen as well. And the same product I'm referring to that can help prevent LB can also help prevent EB and Septoria.

And you'll find it discussed in the thread here about Daconil.
Well the reason for the milk would be the calicum factors in the milk powder. I believe calicum will make plants less vulnerable. That was Grandads reason.
CLETUS is offline   Reply With Quote