View Single Post
Old November 26, 2006   #47
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Hi Michael,

I use pyrethrum mixed with Daco for my tomatoes and give the peppers and eggplants some as I'm doing the rounds.

I have noticed that pyrethrum burns the growing tips if it's hot and sunny. So I have to be careful about that.

I am also using my fingers. Squish 'em best I can.

I saw a few orange ladybirds the other day. I squished them too. This might seems daft, as I know they are a natural enemy of aphids.

However, I get ladybirds infestations here that attack and eat my cucumber leaves. So I was thinking they might do the same.

But then, alas, the killer ladybirds are the yellow and black ones and these ones on the eggplants were orange and black. So it might be a case of friendly-fire there.

I also read about dishwashing liquid for ahipds. Spray. Leave a while. Then rinse.

I will also add that my eggplants are looking like they will grow huge!!! And some types are branching out big time, leading me to think: quick, buy some small cages and attached them to the stakes in the pot.

I'm really enjoying growing the eggies and am trying to keep them pestfree as, per my last attempt, they appear to be magnets for bugs.

And if you saw all my eggies, tomatoes and peppers you would be understandably nervous. White flies are about too. Keep spraying pyrethrum fortnightly to keep them in check.

Not too long till I get a piccie up of an opening eggy flower. They look promising on this front. Flowers coming on most of them, with telling difference in size.

One last thought: I don't read too much about crossed eggplants, so I wonder if this could be a source of great discovery? I would like a large football-shaped yellow one, for example. Thai Yellow Egg x Listada de Gandia?
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote