View Single Post
Old November 29, 2019   #277
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
Thanks Rajun. I haven't been to either one of those, and I've been here over 20 years
now. Is Louisiana your home state? I was born in New Orleans, but raised in Southern
Calfornia, so I have some Cajun Blood in me from my fathers side.

Worth, I remember passing through el paso on the way to California, late 80's. My
mother and I stopped at a Mexican restaurant off the 10 freeway. It was a Sunday
and lots of people at the restaurant. It was very cheap in price and the food was
delicious. The owners greeted you as you left. Very nice atmosphere. Everybody
was Mexican, including the owners. I blended right in because I'm half Honduran.

When I was a kid (about fifteen), I would drive all night with two friends after school finished on Friday afternoons. We drove through New Mexico from north to south arriving in El Paso about sun up. Our intent was always the same, park the car in El Paso and spend the weekend in Juarez. We always made time to eat one meal in a little family owned Mexican restaurant in El Paso. It was the original "Pancho's Mexican Buffet" which later became a large chain of restaurants in the south west. When you walked in the door of Pancho's, you paid $1.10 per person and you could then eat anything and drink anything they had. It was great, authentic Mexican food. We were always ready for school to start on Monday mornings, a little sleepy and a little hung over.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote