View Single Post
Old April 15, 2017   #60
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecker88 View Post
Get some good 'ol fashioned Glyphosate, AKA Roundup and mix it strong. Wait for a bright sunny day and spray the crap out of all the grass/weeds around the compost pile. After 4 hours everything will be wilted. 2 days later it will all be toasted brown. Problem solved.

The great thing about Glyphosate is that it has a half life of 40 days (in the soil), but in TX it's been shown to break down in soil after just 3 days! i.e. microbes in the soil readily break down the chemical thus "inactivating" it.

Another plus is that it does not drift, or vaporize like 2,4D. So, even if you hit your compost pile with the Roundup, it will be totally fine to use in your garden as long as you wait a few weeks. Up here on the prairie, the wind is usually 15-30mph daily, and I've never had Roundup drift. Now, you obviously don't want to spray during a 15 mph wind, but usually early in the morning it's calm for an hour, great time for Roundup spraying.
No roundup in my yard, the wind never really stops here and I don't spray any herbicides, all pellets.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote