View Single Post
Old August 3, 2020   #10
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Okra is coming hot and heavy.

I don't know if it has been two spectacular growing years for corn and okra, or if I just have them down pat. My first corn finally seemed ready last week. Picked 6, then 8 after two days, then 10 after two days, 11, and now after another skip I cleaned up the rest of the ready first cobs and and the likely second cobs, 68 in all. Most were about perfect, a few wormy up top and a little fragrant. Only a few were incomplete pollination. There is an interior row of corn in that set that started late. The seed just didn't sprout, seemed to rot. So it was late and has smaller first cobs that should be ready last week. But it seemed to help pollination of second cobs for the initial corn, so I think it worked out. The corn is buggier than I'm accustomed too, but I think if I had gotten the initial planting in the ground as soil blocks like usual, it would have been earlier and missed some bug pressure.

I wanted to get the ready cobs in before this storm that is forecast as 3-4", flooding, and wind. Taking a break now between husking and vacuum sealing. The timer for the steamer went a few minutes ago.

I still have butternut under that corn and sowed the outside row of stalks with pole beans this past week. I saw some germination there today. Might get something out of it, if not, it took 3 minutes of exercise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.JPG (90.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 02.JPG (72.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 03.JPG (109.8 KB, 38 views)
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote