View Single Post
Old March 24, 2011   #18
Mischka
TomatovilleŽ Administrator

Here's another reason why I highly recommend unfortified (no NPK added) seaweed-derived fertilizers for use in starting from seed.

The truth is, tomato seedlings don't need any fertilizer at all while they only have their cotyledons. (embryonic first two leaves) Despite this fact, I can't count how many times over the years when I've read about folks starting tomato plants from seed for the first time being tempted to fertilize them at this stage of growth.

What happens all too often is that they use Miracle-Gro or other similar concentrated NPK fertilizer and end up burning their seedlings to a crispy death, even when they diluted it down to 25% of the normal mix ratio.

My advice: Resist the temptation and don't do it. Ever.

Wait for your seedlings to develop their first true leaves. They will sprout up from the center of the two cotyledons and differ in appearance from them. At this stage of growth they are still tender i.e. vulnerable to overdoses of fertilizer, so apply it very sparingly.

Seaweed-derived fertilizers are much safer to apply at this point, since they have a low NPK rating to begin with, when mixed at the manufacturer-recommended ratio. A caveat: exceeding the mix ratio of any fertilizer with water will not speed up growth or do anything otherwise beneficial for them. It's much more likely that you will, in fact, stunt their growth or kill them outright.

I cannot stress this enough.

There are few things more discouraging than finally starting your own seedlings successfully, only to watch them wither and dry up from an overdose of fertilizer.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote