View Single Post
Old June 2, 2015   #32
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It has been very nice with the sun out the past couple days. Temperatures are still below 90 degrees for highs. Local DFW Channel 8 (ABC) weather is still saying it is going to be a cooler than usual summer here. A lot of tomatoes keep producing up to 95F. Shading during the right time of day and ground cover/mulch/leaves/etc. can fool the tomatoes into continued production even though temps are actually in the upper 90s.

There's another thought about planting heat resistant tomatoes like these that I am trying this year:

Bradley - OP
Celebrity - Hybrid F1
Costoluto Genovese - OP
Indian Stripe - OP
Porter - OP
Porter's Pride - OP
Sioux - OP

There are so many other OPs. I no longer call tomatoes heirloom until I can get an absolute definition of exactly what heirloom means.

There are also some very good sounding heat resistant hybrids out there that catch my attention. A small list from one catalog (Tomato Growers):

Bella Rosa
Big Beef
Phoenix
Mariana
Sweet Chelsea
Sweet Million
Solid Gold

I think we can extend our spring/summer season this year in Texas. With mulching, shading at the right times, feeding/fertilizing, and water regularly.

This kind of summer happened back in 1983, if it repeats, winter will be really cold this year. 1980 was record setting heat like the summer we had in 2011. It was followed by record setting cold in winter of 1983. Are you ready?

Last edited by AlittleSalt; June 2, 2015 at 12:10 AM. Reason: wrong season
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote