View Single Post
Old July 30, 2018   #13
bower
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I'm really excited about growing out these rounds! I may keep some of each in the greenhouse as well, just to compare the size and survival, and in case of another flukey wet winter.

I would love to swap with you again Sari. I was planning to send you some bulbils anyway because I'm sure I will get bigger ones by harvesting the way you do, while last year I only had a few kinds of bulbils from cut scapes....

I think your technique for bulbils is exactly right for our short season and climate. I know that in places with longer and dryer seasons they leave them in the field until the bulbils are fully mature. Several of my varieties came from bulbils grown at my friend's farm this way - but by the time of harvest, bulbils were already sprouted because at that time it is already fall here and cool and damp. I had the same problem of sprouting when I put cut scapes in water. So lifting the whole plant at harvest time to allow them to finish in a dry environment is the best plan for us.
I've been thinking that leaves may be a better mulch for outdoor bulbils than the kelp. I think leaves are a better protection from torrential rain if that occurs again. And maybe I will try planting rounds in low ridges inside the raised bed too, just to provide extra drainage.
I'm really loving growing up new varieties from bulbils, and learning so much in the process... it's exciting.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote