Thread: Backcrossing
View Single Post
Old May 6, 2015   #17
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Selecting in the F2, then doing the cross with the best F2 plant(s) is usually the best choice. There is a factor of how much chromosome fragmentation occurs from cross-over. Doing a backcross using an F2 allows for more effective selection as the fragments become smaller.
These concepts are very interesting to me, but haven't been able to do an effective search to learn more about fragment size in different filial generations and how that impacts breeding.
Minn Mato, I have a really small space to work in, so it's hard to grow enough plants at once to find a stack of recessive genes in one plant - my plan is to look for one recessive at a time, and if I can find two of the desired traits in two F2 plants, I'll cross them... That may not work for a six gene trait like fruit size though, if you can't tell which traits are present.

As regards fruit size, I think the smallest fruited can be identified at the bud stage - flower buds very small at maturity. That's what I'm seeing here as I try to select before planting out. Also the 'beefsteak' type buds (example Indian Stripe, Black Early) are fat and round, a different shape from the typical pointed bud of a cherry or a heart or small fruit, in the group of seedlings I'm working with...
bower is offline   Reply With Quote