View Single Post
Old August 10, 2019   #5
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Internal BER...I don't consider this to be BER at all. I get a few BER each year, usually the first round, and they are a total loss. They mush out and corrupt everything else. These are just cracked at stem/shoulder and corrupted around the cracks. Cutting off past that they are fine. Like I said I think it was just harsh sun this year, and hot. One heavy rain in the last month that we got a huge 6" and flash flooding. The okra LOVED that. Maybe that laid the groundwork for the cracking on these. I had been trimming back blight though, and they are single stemmed, so trimming those bottom leaves back exposed them to a lot of sun.

I have some EB spots on these big beefs as well that I usually don't get until the third picking if at all. But again, the year is running behind and this already doing 1st pick at 2nd picking time.

My heirlooms in cages out back the house have a lot more foliage shade and late day house shade, and are not cracked like this, nor spotted.

I guess yours look worse than mine, at least those three. I have a few like that in the one tray (right foreground) that were bad ones I kept separate. I still sauced that tray and got about half the tomato worth out of them. I feel like if I had left these on another few days a lot more would have turned black like that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36.JPG (222.3 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 37.JPG (179.4 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg 38.JPG (164.3 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 39.JPG (186.9 KB, 138 views)
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote