View Single Post
Old October 4, 2015   #34
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Hi Peeps, a bit of an update, thanks to the Spring floods I didn't get the majority of the plants I wanted, the nurseries were completely under water. So no camellias for me. Unfortunately I discovered that the setting sun + heat is strong enough to fry anything under my live oaks that isn't a "full sun" plant, and I lost several hundreds of dollars worth of "shade" plants once the Texas summer was in full swing. I doubt Camellias will survive under there, so I'm changing plans and going to plant lilies & bulb flowers instead (including the giant texas spider lilly) once fall comes around. After 95% of my under-story plants bit the dust, i just bought whatever plants caught my eye that were on sale, stuck 'em under the trees and decided to see if they'd survive the summer. If they do, I'll buy more to plant in the fall.

My landscaper couldn't find Caesalpinia gilliesii in stock anywhere around here but they did have the Pride of Barbados so I went with those even though they weren't first choice. Got 3 of em! No flowers this year since they're small and just getting situated, but the leaves are so pretty you don't even need the flowers.

Last edited by Vespertino; October 4, 2015 at 09:10 AM.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote