View Single Post
Old March 28, 2012   #34
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Oh boy this thread brings back memories of my grandfather and his fig tree. I never knew where he got the cutting, someone told me they were figs from Italy...but nonetheless, when I was a little kid he had this bush in his back yard in NJ. Every winter the whole thing was covered up with burlap, foil, and plastic and was the ugliest thing you ever saw. When it was about 14' tall or so, he took another cutting and rooted it, and smuggled it to his new home in Florida in a golf club bag (lol) and planted it there. We were NEVER allowed to touch the fig tree, ever. One year about 10 years ago my sister and I flew down to visit our grandparents and lo and behold, there was the beloved fig tree we missed so much, FULL of fruit. So, we thought hey, we're adults now, he wouldn't mind...boy were we ever mistaken. You never saw an old man get so red in the face when he saw the bowl of figs we picked off of his tree. lol.. in fact, the man never ever got mad and that was the only time I thought he would yell at us...the figs were more important than his grandchildren ha!

You are making me want to plant a fig tree now!