View Single Post
Old March 8, 2018   #1
seymour_man
Tomatovillian™

Default Raised bed question....sort of?

Hi All,
In my urban garden adventure I have went from couple of rubbermaid totes of heirloom tomatoes to buying a tiller and digging up a 20ft x 40ft garden space. I am on sandy soil and I have approved its structure with organic matter so its pretty decent...not great but decent.

I feel that out of my 800 square feet of heaven I waste a lot of space. I garden like it's a farm with 30 inch tiller paths around the edge and between the rows. I estimate I have less than half in plant utilization space.

Over the winter I have seriously thought about building raised beds. I think in my garden spot I can actually increase my "plant space" and after the initial investment to build the beds decrease my spending as I will not be "feeding" 800 square feet but only the actual area I use.

I plan to build 8ft x 4ft beds out of eastern red cedar. This cedar is not cheap but is very durable. I am not putting anything wire or fabric on the bottom as I want the plants to grow into my top soil as needed. I will fill the beds with organic matter and compost as needed.

Here is my question....How tall do I need to make the beds? I understand if I was making these beds as giant containers with bottoms then 1 ft or even 2 ft would be minimum.

But with my beds being open on the bottom how high do I need to go? Is 6" or 8" tall ok? As I said cedar is not cheap. I could design it to use the shorter height now and then add another 6"-8" row next year?

Any comments or advice is greatly appreciated.
seymour_man is offline   Reply With Quote