View Single Post
Old January 16, 2019   #11
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Regarding the high price of bio-char why not just buy a bag of BBQ charcoal the wood stuff not the briquets.
This stuff is 100% wood charcoal.

Yes, it's called Lump Charcoal.

I make my own Bio-char, but folks that dont have that option could try the lump, actually if anyone uses a charcoal grill or smoker, try the lump out for cooking as well, far superior than charcoal unless you are trying to do something like the minion and snake methods for smoking.
I use hardwood for smoking on my gasser and if done the way I like, I end up with a hunk of "Lump" charcoal that can be used for cooking or char.

• 2 pieces of cherry just about done smoking.

• Finished

• The piece to the left is not quite finished

• A lot of folks think that they need to have ashes for the wood to be done, I pull it before it ashes over because once it gets to that point, the smoke becomes much heavier, I am just looking for a wisp of smoke.

• I have made it in a retort

• Made it in a regular fire using pallets as a fuel

• This stuff burns hot, I done some trials using as fuel for my stickburner and adding splits for a bit of smoke, it was just too labor intensive.

• The reason I started this project was because me and a buddy cut a few cords of wood infested with Wasp beetles.

Sorry to get off track
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote