View Single Post
Old July 16, 2012   #7
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I use only the pvc to hold itself in place. Instead of using the regular pvc go to the electrical portion of the store and get the 10' conduit pvc that is a light gray. It is slightly more flexible and far less likely to shatter or break and it is cheaper. Since I use the 10 ft wide plastic I only cut off the female end leaving me with nearly a 10' section. I then push one end deeply into the ground right next to the side board and then bend it over and push the other end into the soil on the other side (make sure you do this on the inside of the bed). Since the soil is soft they will go in about a foot and that is plenty to withstand even harsh winds if the plastic is well attached. I use 3/8 inch staples to attach the plastic along the side of the bed; making sure to at least double fold the plastic along the edges for better tear resistance. One side I staple frequently as the permanent side and then lightly staple the other side. When I need to remove it I just give it a pull on the lightly stapled side to release it and fold it over onto the ground on the other side. When I need it I just fold it back over the hoops that I place about every 4 ft. I make sure I leave enough on each end to close it up if it is very cold or windy. I can just open the ends by folding the plastic back to allow air flow on moderate days and close them back in the evening. I have been doing this for years with no problems and using the long 10 ft pieces on my 4 ft wide beds and using the wide plastic allows for the hoops to be high enough to give me a large air pocket which really protects the plants better on really cold nights. I used to use much smaller hoops and on extremely cold nights would have some damage.
There's the simple/cheap answer I was looking for! Use the 10ft pieces of PVC (and I was already looking at the grey "electrical" ones!) and shove them into the ground! Win.

Now, as far as the material to use, and whether to anchor it to the ground, or just use the clips... I'd like a recommendation or 2 for material. Links to buy would be nice as well! I don't ask for much, right?
Riceloft is offline   Reply With Quote