View Single Post
Old January 12, 2013   #4
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I don't think I would pay nearly 30 cents a seed for a variety that is only resistant to two races of fusarium since my garden seems to have them all. Big Beef has that and you can get the seeds cheaper. I am going to try Big Beef and Ball's which are both resistant to only two strains of fusarium. I am also going to try Floralina and Tasti-Lee which are resistant to all three. I will try to keep decent records of which rootstock does the best. I am also trying an OP variety that has lived very long in my fusarium infested garden for the last two seasons. I am hoping it does the best since the seeds are free.

I can tell you from experience that German Johnson, Green Zebra, and Hillbilly have never been able to survive in my garden. Cowlicks, KBX, and Arkansas Traveler have problems but seem a bit more tolerant. I have found Cherokee Purple to be one of the more disease tolerant varieties but still not as tough as a hybrid like Big Beef.

Best of luck with your grafting. I am going to try it on as large a number of different varieties as I can to see if it helps me with my persistent fusarium and bacterial wilt problem. I don't think it will do much for TSWV, Gray Mold, Early or Late Blight, Septoria and the host of pests that attack my tomatoes every year but if I can get help with the fusarium I'll be a much happier tomato grower.
Wow! you are incredibly adventurous! That sounds like a lot of data to keep track of. (Which is my way of saying that I am both impressed and a little jealous of how industrious you are! ) I can't wait to hear about what you find out. (Please, please keep us posted!)

Yes, I don't know if I have chosen the correct rootstock or not. This rootstock won over the others because of a research paper about how it performed in my state. They rated it higher than three others. http://www4.ncsu.edu/~clrivard/OFRF_Final_Report.pdf

I will also be planting in large containers with fresh soil this year to stave off any soil borne disease and pests. (voles, in my case)

If this new rootstock even lets me get an average of four or five lbs. per plant, it will be more than worth it to me. While I usually get at least a few tomatoes per plant, lately there have been some that I've gotten nothing at all. That is heartbreaking after all the work required to get them to fruition!

Thanks also for the info. on which varieties work best for you. It is so hard to choose from these last few and any little nudge will help.

Hope to see you on some positive grafting report threads in the future!

Last edited by livinonfaith; January 12, 2013 at 05:34 PM.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote