View Single Post
Old May 10, 2012   #3
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Perfect timing. Doing battle with some aphids as well on one Cherokee plant. I have been wiping them off by hand and they haven't jumped to the others - yet. Mine are still in tight quarters under the garage lights.

I was planning on trying this one - made from chopped tomato plants first. I have a 6 foot tall New Big Dwarf in the basement that will donate the leaves.

Tomatoe Leaf Nightshade family plants, such as tomatoes, potatoes and tobacco, have toxic compounds called alkaloids in their leaves. These toxins are water soluble and can be soaked from chopped leaves and made into home-made sprays. These sprays also work by attracting natural pest enemies. The good bugs follow the smell of the spray in looking for prey.
Protection Offered: Tomatoe leaf sprays have been used to protect plants from aphids. Also, spraying tomatoe leaf spray on corn may reduce corn earworm damage. The corn earworm is also called the tomatoe fruitworm, as it also attacks tomatoe plants. A scientific study has shown that corn plants sprayed with tomatoe leaf spray attracted significantly more Trichogramma wasps to parasitize the corn earworm eggs than the unsprayed did.
How to Make: Soak 1 to 2 cups of chopped or mashed tomatoe leaves in 2 cups of water overnight. Strain through cheescloth or fine mesh, add about 2 more cups of water to the strained liquid, and spray. For aphid control, be sure to thoroughly cover the leaf undersides, especially of lower leaves and growing tips of plants where aphids congregate.
How to Use: Spray plants thoroughly, particularly undersides of lower leaves and growing tips where aphids congregate. while this spray is not poisonous to humans on contact, use care in handling, especially if you are allergic to the nightshade family.

Babice, Just realized your attachment as a similar recipe at the end of it, which adds soap, think I will add.

Last edited by JamesL; May 10, 2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Similar recipe
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote