View Single Post
Old August 27, 2020   #9
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZfpfgFtwGE

More drainage is not necessarily the end goal of everything unfortunately. Especially in the summer on big plants. I think fabric pots have the advantage of some air pruning, and not so much the drainage that makes them superior.
Thanks! That wasn't the Russian guy I found. Yeah, I'm not going to do full barrel sizes like that, especially not for determinates like Roma types and other pastes.

Drainage is more difficult for me during the summer season where we get heavy subtropical rains almost daily. But that also tends to be when it's too hot here (in Florida, USA, 9B) for most tomatoes to set fruit. I have some cherry varieties growing in afternoon shade, and they definitely aren't producing like they would be in our proper growing season (fall-winter and winter-spring). Plus, the insects are horrible.

The air pruning is nice too. I have my grow bags set up on top of plastic saucers which are semi-filled with some river rocks. The saucers hold some rain water, but the rocks keep the bags from sitting too deeply in the water, and so far that has seemed to work well. They don't seem as temporarily water-logged as plastic pots do after a heavy afternoon rain.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote