View Single Post
Old May 12, 2007   #1
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Default My support system

There are many support and staking systems for tomatoes.

Here is a system I am using. This system is not a modified Florida Weave system which mostly provide lateral support for mostly determinate plants. This system is to provide lateral as well as vertical support to the plants, including indeterminate varieties.

One of the problem with FW system, as well as some other similar systems is that you only give the plants one layer of vertical space to grow.

My sytem will give substantially more room for the branches and leaves to grow and therefore better air circulation and exposure to sun.

I have my Unistrut posts about 40 feet apart. The posts are 10 feet tall. I can handle really tall inderterminate tomatoe varieties. Last year the system survived many wind storms. Every single component in my system is reusable and removable.

I developed this system because I, as well as my neighbors, don't like the looks of a forest of stakes and cages in my yard. You can hardly see my system a short distance away.

I will post some pictures some other time. A friend has borrowed my camera for their vacation.

dcarch

Last edited by dcarch; June 3, 2007 at 11:24 AM.
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote