View Single Post
Old May 28, 2014   #24
chilisauce
Tomatovillian™

Default Iron Lady and other LB resistant tomatoes

I went back and checked my garden journal. I noted Iron Lady was very productive but ripened very late. Although not affected by late blight, the leaves were heavily affected by some other disease, I am guessing septoria because it started with spotted leaves. I thought the flavor was poor.Other varieties:
Mt. Merit- meaty, large and very productive. Best flavor for a LB resistant
Plum Regal- productive, somewhat late ripening, good flavor, but not as good as Viva Italia which always gives up to LB
Defiant- small plants and not as productive, but ripened early and had good flavor, esp when very ripe.
Mt. Magic- HUGE plants, cherry sized tomatoes, flavor not impressive
Old Brooks, Premio- don't even bother. Both had very poor flavor

We are zone 5a and have short, hot summers. We plant between May 25 and June 5 depending on when we can work the soil. We grow on black plastic and tie plants to a 4ft fence attached to steel T posts. We are in a heavy blight area and commercial growers spray all season. I managed to grow at least 3 bushels from 32 plants. I did not use any sprays or treatments. I am adding Jasper this year for a LB resistant cherry tomato.
Mt merit, plum regal and defiant will be my choice this year plus jasper for salads and snacking.
chilisauce is offline   Reply With Quote